Friday, October 5, 2012

The Real Mike Pence

Mike Pence’s challenger for governor has some pretty humorous ads on TV, but they paint a twisted cartoon image of a man I know and respect. If all you know about Mike Pence is what you see in attack ads or what you hear from canned talking points, then I'd like to introduce you to the real Mike Pence.



Mike first successfully ran for Congress shortly after my young family moved to New Castle. It w
as refreshing to see a positive campaign amid a sea of partisan mudslinging. From a distance Mike looked friendly and competent. In 2004 the Ferrells went to Washington D.C. for the first time and got to see Mike up-close.




My daughters, my wife, and I were taking an elevator to the floor where Mike's office was located; it was his fourth year in office. As we stepped off the elevator Mike was waiting to take the elevator back down. I whispered to my girls, "That's our congressman." Mike heard me and stepped out of the elevator, letting it move to another floor without him. He spent the next several minutes talking to Kaitie and Emily. It was then that I became a Pence supporter.




Since then I have attended town hall meetings and observed a congressman who was there primarily to listen. And I saw something else. Mike stood up against his fellow Republicans and a Republican President when they were spending more than a healthy budget could afford. Mike has gently shut down people making personal attacks on the current President, even though he disagrees with nearly every policy position of the current administration.




I've volunteered for the congressman since 2010 and have seen the integrity with which he and his staff conduct themselves. The vision statement for his campaign is "to glorify God through public service." Their tactics include modeling a servant attitude and promoting positive ideas. When my father passed away in the spring of 2011, the Pence staff sent me one of the most meaningful cards of support that included several prayers and encouraging scripture verses. And in what seems like a throwback to an earlier generation, they do not schedule events on Sunday.




Recently, Mike prayed with a group of volunteers before sending them on their various routes home. I've even seen him lunge to catch a toddler falling from her father's shoulders, even though Mike was scheduled for knee surgery the very next day.




The Mike Pence I know is a man of integrity who loves God, loves his family, and loves to serve the people he represents. He is highly effective, widely respected, and committed to a positive campaign that champions good jobs, great schools, safe streets, and strong families. Mike is far from the cartoon character that some people draw. He's a seasoned leader and will make an excellent Governor of Indiana.







You can find me on FACEBOOK at my Facebook Page (http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504321719). Here's a link to my Flickr.com Page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/curtisferrell/) Thanks for reading!

No comments: