Saturday, July 23, 2011

Life Is Short

Psalm 103:15-18 - As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field;  the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord 's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children —  with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.

Life on this earth is short.

Tuesday my wife and I drove south on State Route 3. I can't remember if we stopped at SR 3 and Trojan Lane. We were talking about the jump in the price of gas and how we should fill up while we could still find it cheap - not really cheap but cheaper.

While we were pumping gas at I-70 we saw a police car heading north with its lights on.

It seems that just minutes after we safely made it through that intersection in New Castle, another husband and wife did not.

Life on this earth is short.

On March 31st my father had a massive hemorrhagic stroke - a bleeding in the brain. I flew to Florida and was with my parents and my two brothers for several days. Dad was in a comatose state, but responded occasionally to touch or conversation.

Hospice was called in, and we soon meet with a counselor. She suggested that we talk with dad because he might still be able to hear. She suggested we tell him four things.

Tell him you love him.

Tell him you will take care of your mom.

Tell him you forgive him for anything he has done to hurt you.

Ask him to forgive you for anything you have done to hurt him.

My brothers and I looked around at each other. We could do two of those things, but there was nothing left to be forgiven. My father had left a legacy of settling accounts quickly. Where forgiveness needed to be sought or offered, it had already happened.

Dad died on April 6th, but what an incredible gift he left for us - a family with a clean slate; nothing left unsaid.

Life on this earth is short.

There are those today who have things to say - important things - but there is no longer anyone to hear them. There are those who have forgiveness to offer, but there is no one left to receive it.

In Ephesians 4:26 The Apostle Paul writes, "Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry." And Jesus said in His sermon on the mount, "Settle matters quickly . . ."

Life on this earth is short.

My wife and I could have been the couple that people are grieving today. Maybe you and your spouse also went through that same intersection a little after 8:00 pm on Tuesday. The question that screams to be answered is, "Why was it them and not us?" But "why" questions are rarely answered to anyone's satisfaction.

The real question is, "What do I have to say that is still unsaid?" Maybe today is the day to settle accounts. Maybe today is the day to lay a solid foundation for a wonderful legacy.

I don't have answers to the 'why' questions, but there are some things I do know and they are true no matter what happens.

God loves us. And He has shown us how to live, because . . .

Life is short, but God is good.


No comments: