Thursday, March 29, 2007

Is It God Or A Ghost?

HeartLine Newsletter Article February 2007

This story has recently piqued my imagination. The gospel writer, Mark, at the end of chapter 6, tells of Jesus walking on the water. The amazing thing about this story is the response of the disciples.

They all saw Him, but they were terrified because they all thought He was a ghost. Question: How did they know what a ghost looked like? Had they ever seen a ghost before? Why was it easier for them to believe that this image of Jesus was a ghost and not Jesus Himself walking in their midst?
Many times I have missed God as He walked nearby because I was unable to identify Him. I have said things like, “What a strange coincidence.” I have been puzzled by the events taking place around me. Sometimes I was even fearful and unsure of what future events would hold me and my family.

Now I am trying a new response. I’ve not got it down perfect, but I am getting better. You might want to try it yourself. My new response is this: I ask how is God working in my life? What is God doing in the people around me? Has God been speaking to me, and if so, what is He saying?

It’s amazing how the ghosts in our lives disappear when we begin to look for the hand of God. It’s incredible to see how consistent His message is when we intentionally listen for God’s voice. My prayer for us is that we will see God walking among us, and respond with hope, not fear.

No comments: