Thursday, September 4, 2008

Journal - September 4, 2008


10:16 pm – Talking with Jeremy after worship. Today was a busy day. I started by fixing the setup of a new flat screen TV for the school. There are still a few bugs to work out. A new DVD and an old VCR plugging into the latest technology in TVs. Hopefully, we can get them set up so all they have to do is press POWER and PLAY.

At 10:30 Ron and I joined the 11th & 12th Grade Leadership Class. We had a good discussion with some future leaders in the church. Hopefully, we imparted some insight and wisdom . . .

For lunch we had KFC – Indonesian style. Food here has been really good. Nothing too strange. Toward the end of lunch I was interviewed by Annalise, a journalist for the school newspaper. After the retreat she wants to interview me again to get my reaction to the event.

After lunch, I walked back to the dorm and packed for the retreat. Then I walked back to the school and worked a little on the laptop in the lunch area getting ready for tonight.

At about 3:30 pm we loaded into SUVs and the school bus and headed up the mountain to the Salab Putih (White Cross) Retreat Center. After finding my room and setting up for this evening’s worship, we had supper – chicken and rice and noodles and something that looked like thin slices of dried bread (they had the texture of Styrofoam but tasted pretty good).

The evening meeting started at 6:50 and 130+ people piled into a room the size of a small ballroom in a hotel. We were packed! The kids sat on the floor and the adults sat on a handful of chairs that were in the room. This retreat has students from 7th grade through 12th grade.

They seemed to respond well to worship. Jeremy introduced 2 Timothy to the group and was well received. By the end of the meeting it was very hot in the room. There is no air conditioning, just open windows on one side of the room. I think morning meeting times will be much cooler.

After our evening meeting, I purchased 2 hours of internet time for 30,000 Rp (about $3). So if you are reading this before September 6 that’s how I posted this journal entry.

One of the questions in the interview I had during lunch echoed a comment I had heard a couple of times before. The students want to know how long I will be here, and seem disappointed that I will be leaving the middle of next week, even though they barely know me. Apparently, many people come to visit, but few stay, or even return.

It must be hard to invest in relationships when people are coming and going so frequently. At the praise band rehearsal Wednesday night, the students told me I should come back and bring my family with me. I think they would love the country and the people, like I do, but I’m not sure they would survive the 24+ hours in the air – ONE DIRECTION!

More later . . .

You can find more trip pictures at my Facebook Page (http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504321719).

They are also posted at my Flickr.com Page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/curtisferrell/)

Thanks for reading!

No comments: