Sunday, September 7, 2008

Journal - September 7, 2008


1:05 pm – This morning I woke up at 5:00 am wanting to put the finishing touches on my message and talk to my family on Skype. The dorm was all locked up, so I had to go on battery power in my computer. This was pretty scary because my computer is old and when the battery gets too low it doesn’t warn you, it just shuts down. Anyway, it worked long enough so that Cheryl and Emily and I could talk. Kaitie was babysitting.

The church was packed today. I only recognized two songs this week; “I Give You My Heart” and “My Redeemer Lives”. Instead of a worship trio leading like last week, this week there was one man who led worship. The praise band played both weeks: drums, electric guitar, bass guitar, keyboard.

Before my message, I gave my copy of Shaped By God’s Heart to Pastor Mariono. I preached from Philemon verses 3 through 7a and encouraged them to use prayer to develop a passion for God and compassion for people. Casey translated and hopefully God spoke to hearts. One young man, probably 11 or 12 years old, took very extensive notes and had me autograph his notes!

After preaching, they asked me to sing, so I sang “Thank You, Lord” about Indiana, the dinosaur tree, and my thankfulness to God for His many blessings.

After eating brunch at Casey and Sharon’s we were supposed to go to a rice farm. My stomach started turning flips again so I took a nap while Ron and Tory went with Casey and the boys, Nicko and Ryan. I feel a little better now but not 100%. I’ll be going back to the church in a few minutes for the second worship seminar.

9:36 pm – Ron and Tory said they really enjoyed the rice farm. I’ll try to get pictures from them to share. This afternoon’s worship seminar was a lot of fun. People were a little bit freer in sharing, and asking questions, and joking.

After the worship seminar concluded, the church gave each of us (Ron, Tory, and myself) a gift so that we will remember Indonesia. Tory opened his tonight and it is a batik map of Indonesia and a batik placemat/coaster set. Ron and I liked the paper so much that we decided not to open ours yet.

I didn’t eat supper; my stomach was still feeling funny. But one of the Indonesian grandmothers insisted I eat one of the fried puffed rice chips. It tasted a little like rice crispys. My stomach feels basically the same. I think I just need some sleep.

You can find more trip pictures at my Facebook Page (http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504321719).

They are also posted at my Flickr.com Page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/curtisferrell/)

Thanks for reading!

No comments: